Monday, October 13, 2008

7 1/2 Habits of HIghly Successful Lifelong Learners

I'd like to think of myself as a lifelong learner. There is always something out there to be discovered. We were asked to think about the 7 1/2 habits in terms of what was easiest and hardest for us. For me, the easiest would be #7: teach/mentor others. Once I learn a new skill well, I like to share the knowledge with others. I use that now as a computer class instructor, but in my past life, I was a 4-H leader, teaching cooking and baking skills. My 4-H demonstration skills led to another section of my teaching life-I had a 5-10 minute TV spot, eventually named "Cooking with Terri". For 12 years, I faithfully drove up to the North Platte TV station on Tuesday mornings, my car packed with food ingredients and cooking utensils to be a regular guest on the station's noontime "Newsmakers." Unfortunately, I wasn't paid like Julia Child so I can't say I did it for the money. I think I kept doing it for the people who would tell me how much they liked making the recipes I prepared on the show.

My hardest is Habit #3: View problems as challenges. I'm a born worrier so problems kick in my worry mode. I'm working on this one.

No comments: